Saturday, February 6, 2010

Hello from the desert



Tomorrow is my last full day here.

My desert vacation has been a treat, filled with mountain passes, lots of sun, lots of people, and lots of shiny things.
Not to mention good mead, good beer, good conversation, and happy reunions. These little southwest towns are filled with misfits -- the best people watching I've had in some time. Just a quick chat is an experience, to be sure.

On Monday I head back to the frozen north, where I hope it won't be quite so frozen as when I left (-2). I haven't had the courage to check it quite yet.

The gem show was crazy. I wish I could be more eloquent, but it was crazy. It left me exhausted and invigorated all at once.

I found some lovely stones to bring back and I'm pleased with my little stash. Maybe someday this operation will be large enough for me to justify greater purchases, but for now it's the experience. I met a lot of people, jewelers and dealers alike. Throw in some lapidaries for good measure. I saw opals for $85,000. I bought my first raw diamonds. I watched tool demos and played at the Rio show. I met some more people. I dreamed of having money to go to Tuscany for that chasing and repousse workshop...maybe someday.

Until then, I'm enjoying my last few moments in the desert. I smell a bonfire calling my name, so I leave you with these --



No comments: