Thursday, June 25, 2009

Sad.Day.

It is apparently not my week. Thankfully the tumbler spill was just annoying and didn't break anything...the jewelry all came out fine and the tumbler is still functioning.

Tonight I didn't come off so easily. I was setting stones and got to the custom order necklace I've been making...I love doing custom orders where I can pretty much design and do my own thing, which this was. As I was tightening the bezel I noticed the stone was cracked. It was a turquoise that had a little pit in it but the customer picked it out in person. The crack started at the pit and seems to go all the way through the stone...it's broken in 2. I'm so so sad about it...the necklace was completely finished. Three hours of work for nothing.

I'm going to see if it's repairable with epoxy...if she doesn't want it at least I'll have a necklace that I made?

In happier news, there will be a little shop update over the weekend. I have a few pairs of simple earrings & a pendant to photo & list.

EDIT:
I just wanted to give a shoutout to the coolest thread on the etsy forums (nearly 300 pages and 3,000 posts strong!) "Mis-named Stones and Metals." It started in March and is a FONT of information regarding...well...stones and metals. There are GIA graduates, knowledgeable rock hounds, lapidaries, and jewelers. I have learned so much and discovered a ton of new material through everyone. If you have any interest in learning about this stuff it is the place to go! It's like a warm little mini community within the vastness of etsy. Highly recommended :)

http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=6092412&page=1

No comments: